Thursday, October 3, 2013

Preview of Rob's Interview with Sport & Style Magazine (France)

Old pictures posted as digital and regular scans, now non-scans



Translation via Pattinson Art Work

Robert Pattinson "I wanted to be a musician"

Fond of boxing, British Rob Pattinson is inspired by the noble art's codes of honor and Arsenal's elegance to manage his career. Meeting in Los Angeles with the new face of Dior Homme fragrance.

Sprawled on the sofa of the suite 111 at the Beverly Hills Hotel in Hollywood, eyes unfocused, Rob Pattinson is obviously tired. The blame to a party that lasted late the night before. However, he welcomes his guests with respect and sincerity leaping suddenly to his feet. Backwards baseball cap, black shirt, jeans and sneakers, Diet Coke in hand, Robert Thomas Pattinson has very little to do with Edward Cullen, his character in the Twilight film series. At 27, Rob is more than just an English actor who conquered Hollywood, or even any international star of TV series. This discreet Londoner, cultured and elegant became a global icon adored by millions of fans. A comfortable but temporary status - and above all extremely cumbersome - that the actor is changing slowly and very cleverly: against type casting roles ('Bel Ami', 'The Rover' by David Michôd) adoption of a Cinema "father" in the person of David Cronenberg ('Cosmopolis' in 2012 and a new movie in preparation) and a sensational entrance in the fashion world this fall by becoming the new face of Dior Homme fragrance. Lots of consistent evidence which tell us at Sport & Style, that we should not miss Rob Pattinson. Here he is sitting again and it's our turn to play vampires to elicit informations

When did you start to be interested by comedy and realise the expressive potential it represents?
I started late in a drama club because I was a very shy child. It was a revelation: it was the first time I confront myself to my fears and the adrenaline rush was intense. Then, there was the first time I had the feeling to "build" something. It was for 'Little Ashes' in 2008, a weird film where I played Salvador Dalí. I really wanted to give credibility to this character and therefore to my performance.

You've also been a musician?
At the be beginning, I wanted to be a musician. It was still the case until Twilight. At that time, I was touring with a band in pubs around London. We were playing folk-pop but I've always prefered soul music more - Otis Redding, Van Morrison - than folk music.

What is elegance for you as an actor?
It is surely a balance between magnetism, aura, behavior, gestures, look. But elegance is also being able to listen and to speak.

What about style?
This is a way of expressing yourself, or rather a means of expression. Style is often viewed as a kind of cosmetic, a way of hiding yourself in a suit. On the contrary, i think that true style is first to have a good knowledge of who you are and also be very honest with yourself.

Is it difficult to find good scenarios when you are a superstar?
Yes, because it's difficult to know how the audience see you. Today, people know a lot of things about the actors outside of their profession. The choice of scenario is made by the intrinsic interest of the script, but also on what is almost a personal manifesto: choosing this character, it's me too!

Why did you choose 'The Rover' by David Michod which will be released soon? To go in the opposite direction of your public image?
Probably a little, it's part of the equation. I really wanted it, I auditioned twice! The script was wonderful, i worked hard. The story is fantastic, very original, told in a very innovative way. It was something that seemed very different from everything else and I wanted to be part of it.

READ THE FULL INTERVIEW OF ROB PATTINSON IN OCTOBER 2ND ISSUE OF SPORT&STYLE

Source (in French)

3 comments:

verena said...

Very very interesting! Thx!

Iluvthemovies said...

I loved that he fought for the role in The Rover. It proves how serious he is taking his career. I as a moviegoer appreciate that. Also if he had to audition, David Michod thought that he did a wonderful job portraying Rey. Thanks to both Davids for hiring Rob, it has certainly made and will make a difference in his career, post Twilight.

Unknown said...

Complete agree... I mean, Twilight who?...
It was just a step, but now I see him so out of it... Like, it was the ticket to get in the "movie-media"... Like a concert: you got the ticket, get in, but it's up to you what you do inside...

I really love that he's taking challenges... I mean, I'm sure, sure sure sure, that he's been offered tons of heartthrob roles, but all with the same essence... And I feel he's just "desperate" to not be typecasted...
And I seriously like that he had to audition, and twice!... Worthy is not easy... And worthy is what he wants... Or so I feel...
As if he's walking his road into the real-movie-world, learning, and digging, and not just going where he's expected to go, or where he's told to go because is "safer", as many others do...
My respect, and of course admiration... My Thursday-night-movies get better and better with your choices, Mr Pattinson... :)

Hugs everyone...
xxxxx