Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cronenberg talks about Rob being terrified to do Cosmopolis and why he wanted him for the part


Cronenberg: Actors need to scare themselves. When I started to talk to [Robert Pattinson for "Cosmopolis"], it became apparent that he was terrified, as Keira was terrified to do Sabina, and that's always good.

Why did you want Pattinson for the part in "Cosmopolis"?
Cronenberg: Well I'd watched a movie that I think not too many people have seen called "Little Ashes," where he plays Salvador Dali, and he plays him as a young man and plays him with a Spanish accent. So I thought, well that's really interesting, I mean this was before he was a "Twilight" star, because, it takes a particular handsome young man to decide to play that role. And then I did watch some of the "Twilight" stuff and I watched "Remember Me" and I felt that he had a lot going on. He's supposed to be a super smart billionaire at a young age, 28 he says in the movie. It's intuition. I didn't know him as a person, but I'd figured from the movies that I'd seen, like "Little Ashes," that I could maybe interest him in doing something that's not "Twilight" obviously.

Source

1 comment:

Gloria B.Wilhelm said...

Rob had performed Edward Cullen the best an actor could do. He was not a complicated character that would require an actor to emote him in different ways in the movie. It would be different if there was some vicissitudeness in the character. The best performance I think that he did portraying Edward was in New Moon, where he was looking down at Bella bleeding on the floor and Carlisle asking him to go. His face showed all the emotions -- scorn, disgust, defeat realising that he had to leave Bella. Another one was the dance at the gazebo, end of the first movie. His voice changed, kind of croaky when he got emotional. That was hard to do. I tried it myself. lol. I think that might be some of what Cronenberg saw in Twilight.
He owes Cronenberg for giving him the part, if Cosmopolis gets good critics and his acting was as terrific as Cronenberg stated. He is on his way.